Homemade Carpet Cleaner Recipes That Work Wonders
Carpet cleaning is a necessary evil. No one enjoys it, but it has to be done. And if you want your carpets to look and smell their best, you need to use the right cleaners. Commercial carpet cleaners can be expensive, though, so why not make your own? Homemade carpet cleaner is just as effective as store-bought ones, but they’re much cheaper. Plus, you can customize them to your specific needs.
- If you’re dealing with tough stains, mix together equal parts vinegar and water. For general cleaning, mix together 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup salt, and 1/4 cup vinegar. Add enough warm water to make a paste, then rub it into the carpet with a sponge. Let it sit for an hour or so, then vacuum it up.
- For a fresh-smelling carpet, mix together 1 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup cornstarch. Sprinkle it over the entire carpet, then vacuum it up after 15 minutes or so.
- If you have pets, you know that they can leave behind some not-so-pleasant smells. To get rid of pet odors, mix together 1 cup white vinegar and 1 cup water. Pour it into a spray bottle and spritz it onto the smelly areas of your carpet. Let it sit for an hour or so, then vacuum it up.
- Coffee stains are no match for this homemade carpet cleaner. Mix together 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup salt, and 1 tablespoon cream of tartar. Sprinkle the mixture onto the stain, then scrub it with a brush. Rinse with warm water and blot dry.
- Red wine stains are notoriously tough to remove. But with this carpet cleaner, they’ll be gone in no time. Mix together 1/4 cup each of salt, baking soda, and white vinegar. Sprinkle the mixture onto the stain and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Scrub with a brush, then rinse with warm water.
- For a carpet cleaner that’s gentle enough for every day use, mix together 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Pour it into a spray bottle and spritz onto the carpet. Then, just vacuum as usual.
- This carpet cleaner is ideal for spot cleaning. Mix together 1 tablespoon each of dish soap and white vinegar. Add enough water to make a paste, then rub it into the stain with a brush. Rinse with warm water and blot dry.
- Make your own all-purpose cleaner by mixing together 1/4 cup each of white vinegar and water. Pour it into a spray bottle and use it to clean carpets, upholstery, and floors.
- For a deep cleaning carpet cleaner, mix together 1/2 cup each of salt and borax. Sprinkle the mixture over the entire carpet and let it sit for an hour or so. Then, vacuum as usual.
- This carpet cleaner is great for those tough, set-in stains. Mix together 1/4 cup each of salt and white vinegar. Add enough water to make a paste, then rub it into the stain with a brush. Let it sit for an hour or so, then vacuum it up.
These are just a few of the many recipes for homemade carpet cleaners. With a little trial and error, you’re sure to find one that works best for you and your carpets. So save yourself some money and give DIY carpet cleaning a try!